Sunday, January 4, 2009

Aren't we getting off to a great start this year?

I started a 1/365 group on Flickr. Egads.

I chose my team well, or so I thought and things got off to a rough start, but the turd in the punchbowl was flushed, finally and now things are actually looking better.

The idea of these 1/365 groups are to inspire people to take photos with their cameras and upload them for each day of the year, for that specific day.

No one is ever happy, they assume too much, think it is a contest, but gripe when they must post a photo a day. So, a few of us thought it would be cool if there were no pressures, nothing but fun and inspiration, but mandating some rules to make sure the group was on the same track.

And the whining started immediately. "I can't upload every day", "my computer is being worked on, so I can't upload my photos for a week" and on and on. And for GAWD'S sake, never deviate from a rule that will benefit the group as a whole, much less the work load on Admins/Moderators. When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
(thanks, Hunter- for that profound observation)

For the better part, most play by the rules and just want to submit their work, never complain and cooperate if we have a question about EXIF data, etc.

The attention whores are just that and the most vocal of them all. Nothing is ever good enough, they see everything as a competition, yet those are the ones that are just so-so photographers. The really GOOD ones are quiet, happy to join and understand the work that goes into a project like this. People not only with a really good eye, but with a brain as well. God bless them. They are what inspire the rest of us to take better photographs, without competing.

On a national scale, things are getting off to a very rough start with the new Presidential administration. Bill Richardson is getting dogged by a federal investigation and has made the decision to step down as Sec'y of Commerce due to this latest headache he's going to have to endure. Shame that, because I really genuinely liked the man when I had the pleasure of meeting him in the fall of '07. He struck me as a no nonsense, straight shooter, had some common sense and some fair ideas of fixing some of the messes this last administration has gotten us into.

Blessing of the day: My one and only female admin for our Flickr group stuck with me all weekend, keeping the submissions of photos rolling through and was a real friend when things got really stupid. God bless her. She's a godsend when it comes to dealing with these:


No comments:

Post a Comment